Thursday 2 June 2011

I've got the blues this week, and the greens, and the blue greens ......

It's funny how our attention wanders, isn't it, and where it sometimes ends up.  I was sitting at my desk earlier this week, meant to be doing some 'proper' work and I started noticing the colours on the table next to me.
You see, I'm a self-confessed pattern and colour addict - give me a plain surface, such as the brown Ikea table in question, and I'll cover it with something.  In this case, wrapping paper of the stunning Sandersons Dandelion Clocks in the Chaffinch colourway (and if you love the shapes and textures of the 50s as much as I do, check out Hayward in the new 50s Fabrics collection while you're there).  This may have been done to death a bit and yes, it has been made into a teapot and a wash bag, but I am just besotted with the colours (and if you've a keen eye, you'll notice this design in my header).  I love blue when it mixes with yellow, then green when it mixes with more yellow, so here's the trail of thoughts and ideas from that moment when my attention wandered ....


It's amazing what you find lying around ... I bought these gorgeous 1950s buttons on eBay ages ago. 
Not sure what to do with them but love them nonetheless!

This got me thinking about how the colours are made, (and here's one for you Kerry) ...

This will be familiar to all you ISCD foundation course students out there.
Canson chips, painstakingly painted from blue to yellow - harder than it might look!

Later in the week, as I rewarded myself with the treat of buying my favourite UK magazines, Livingetc and Elle Decoration (though they are both April issues, I'm sad to say), I came across these absolutely stunning shots styled by Finola Inger and photographed by Damian Russell ...

Elle Decoration April 2011, Finola Inger (stylist) and Damian Russell (photographer)

Check out Damian's website - this is one of many incredibly beautiful shots, for this Elle Decoration feature and many others.  Ok, just one more ...

Elle Decoration April 2011, Finola Inger (stylist) and Damian Russell (photographer)

So finally to my last shot.  There's something about this picture - it just fills me with joy.  It always comes to mind when I think of this part of the colour wheel, so I used it in my course work to encapsulate the beauty of the journey from blue to green to yellow.  Enjoy ...

Photograph by Martyn Thompson for Home is where the heart is? by Ilse Crawford

And a final footnote for all you colour trend spotters out there.  Here's what Elle Decoration (UK) had to say in their April issue. Of course it's the UK, it's a few months ago and our seasons are at opposite ends of the year, but it's a small design world these days - if these beautiful colours keep drifting to the top of our colour consciousness here in Australia, I'm all for it ...

"Blue, greens and greys ... this is the colour spectrum we feel most keenly represents the mood of the moment ... We've added in a touch of sober grey to the gently optimistic blues and green, to suggest longevity.  And the way in which we use these hues is changing.  No more flat colour blocking; it's all about textured shades used in a loose, painterly fashion."
Elle Decoration, April 2011

Funny what you notice ...  Until next time, Nx

17 comments:

Kerry said...

Well, welcome to the world of blogging Miss Nic! Be prepared for a fabulous ride, and do try to find another 12 hours at least in your day :) It's so lovely to see you here and if your first post is anything to go by, I'll be here heaps! The blog looks beautiful :)

JOE. D said...

A very big welcome to the world of blogging (-:

Tricia Rose Rough Linen said...

STRONG, delightful colours! I could just soak them up.

I just saw a doc on Chinese purple, used on the terracotta army and capable of strange things in a magnetron. Isn't colour wonderful?

Felicity said...

Hi Nic, I've arrived at your doorstep via Kerry's place and am so happy that she suggested I should visit.

I'm so excited to find a fellow colour junky, especially when she posts about my favourite segment in the coulour wheel the blue-green palette.

Looking forward to all that you share,

Felicity xx

Amanda said...

Discovered your blog via Kerry and thought I'd pop over and see your first post. What gorgeous colours in all those images - such lovely images, I especially love the styling in the second last one.

Karena said...

Nic welcome I came over from Kerry's and am so glad I did! Wonderful!

Xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Be sure to Come and enter my amazing $250 giveaway from Tracy Porter

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

Hiya Nic, so glad you bit the bullet and started your blog! Gorgeous colours, love them all. Welcome to Blogland - I know you'll love it :) K x

Paddy said...

Oh what a lovely blog. Kerry sent me! I love me a bit of smarts when it comes to this decorating caper. It's great to learn while drooling...Good luck with the new venture.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Nic to blogland...it is a land that reaches way across international borders, i love the blues/greens/yellows combos too, way over here in Canada.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Found you through Kerry's blog. And I love the first post. Most of my own design inspiration and preferences start with color - and various combinations of blue and green are some of my favorite palettes. My Style Key West blog is pretty much all about color (because that's what Key West is all about of course) - and I'm thrilled to add another great site to my reader for inspiration!

(un)fashionable & 50 said...

Nicola...beautiful Blog! Love seeing this side of you emerge. Please keep blogging!!

Abby said...

Hi Nic, another visitor from Kerry - great first post, love the colours and the Sanderson's fabric is fabulous, I love it!

The Moerks said...

After that lovely post by Kerry I had to pop over and give you a very warm welcome to blogland. You are in excellent company with the Kerr I and Y, they are truely lovely bloggie ladies.
I love the colours in your post, and look forward to seeing more of your blog.

Unknown said...

Magnifique! What a brilliant beginning Nic ... can't wait to see what comes in the future, I'll definitely pop over regularly to read your posts.

A Room For Everyone said...

Hi Nic, what an impressive first post! This is going to be a fantastic blog..I look forward to reading more.. Rachaelxx

Carla said...

Hello Nic! What have you started? Amazing things to come for you (no doubt) and a new obsession for me! Thanks for the inspiration!
Carla xx

Oliver @ Sabi Style said...

I have button envy... Those 50's buttons are amazing!

With your obvious love of colour and pattern just wondered if you had come across the UK eco wallpaper designers Miss Print (http://www.missprint.co.uk/ ) - I am in love with their "Little Trees" design but thought you might like the "Dandelion"

Great post by the way...